31 October, 2016

Revelation 3:15—“I would thou wert cold or hot”



I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth (Revelation 3:15-16 KJV).



COMMON GRACE ARGUMENT:
This text has been used to support the idea that the Lord has a desire for the salvation of all men, and not just the electin this particular case, a desire for the salvation of every member of the church of Laodicea, head for head.


(I)

Rev. James Durham (1622-1658)

[Commentary on Revelation, Lecture 3, chapter 3]

[The] Lord’s expression is to be understood after the manner of men, (as was said) that is, as men use to express their hating of any thing, by this, I wish it were, or had been any other way: that same is the Lord’s intent here. I cannot therefore but somewhat wonder, that a learned man (Joannes Dallaeus [Jean Daille] in his Apology, etc.) doth draw this place of the Lord’s wishing that Laodicea were hot, to confirm that assertion of the Lord’s having a will and desire of the salvation of all men, besides His signifying of what is acceptable to Him as considered in itself, by His Word.


----------------------------------------------

(II)

More to come! (DV)


No comments:

Post a Comment